Tuesday, October 22, 2013

To a young visionary

It was election day and I was tired, so be prepared for some disjointed rambling. Lots of delicious pauses and slow chatter. I'd say that I was preoccupied with the decision of who I should vote for in Edmonton's municipal election, but that was pretty obvious and I had made it out to cast my ballot earlier that morning. I needed a pick-me-up so I went with another no-brainer, Marnie Stern, who provided a punchy start.  After some powerful new stuff from Best Coast he jams continued with Mammoth Cave favourites, the Ketamines, Vancouver's Ones + Zeros, Brooklyn's The Obits, and Hamilton's Crosss. From there it was onward to some captivating vocals from Braids' Raphaelle Standell-Preston and Glasser (aka Cameron Mesirow). We also heard some pensive new stuff from Canuck rapper, Shad, and I finally conceded to Talk Talk, who emerged from the background to deliver some chills from 1988's Spirit of Eden.

I was also very pleased to present pair of prairie-folk troubadours: Winnipeg's Slow Leaves and our own Local Haunts (aka David Janzen), who will be releasing his debut EP this Saturday evening at the Artery. The show ended with a pair of tracks from two of the most important bands to come out of the late 70s (I'd call them "visionaries" but that's a horrible pun), Television and Joy Division. Let's call it a tribute to our very hip and very young new mayor, Don Iveson.



"Year of the Glad" - Marnie Stern
"This Lonely Morning" - Best Coast
"Patients" - The Ketamines
"Life on Video" - Ones + Zeros
"This Must Be Done" - The Obits
"Mountain King" - Crosss
"Shape" - Glasser
"December" - Braids
"Y'all Know Me" - Shad
"Eden" - Talk Talk
"City of Broad Shoulders" - Local Haunts
"Careless and Serene" - Slow Leaves
"Elevation" - Television
"Disorder" - Joy Division

5 comments:

  1. Wow, the percussion and arrangement in that masterful 1988 Talk Talk track reminds me of Matt Good's slower solo stuff. I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me neither! Sounds like I should be paying Mr Good a bit more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk Talk's better. Thanks for playing it. Old to the world, new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Addendum: I asked Matthew Good about that track on his Facebook page. Surprisingly, he actually responded: "That and Laughing Stock are two of the most influential albums for me. Plus, Hollis is my 5th cousin."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. That's some good digging. If Dycks Pycks was a news show I'd take you on as a research assistant.

    ReplyDelete