Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Until next time . . .




This might be my last show for a while. Come September, Tuesday afternoons will no longer be part of my blissful weekend. Instead, I'll be at my drawing class, studying the human form with a paper and pencil as part of my design studies program -- perhaps you've noticed all of the attractive photographs I've been posting with each blog entry. That's right. All me! But I digress.

Dyck's Pycks will be back, hopefully by early to mid September, at a different time slot.

Unfortunately today's show didn't find me going out with a bang. More like an assortment of background noises and over-annunciated band names. At least I started things out right, with Swervedriver's hypnotizing "Girl on a Motorbike," easily one of my favourite road-themed songs of all time. Hopefully someone out there on the freeway was tuned in. A strange mix of stuff (with questionable quality) followed, but I was quite pleased to play a track from Glasgow's short-lived Life Without Buildings and I thought the spare sounds of Miserere (a new effort from the former members of Sea Snakes) made for a suitable followup.

It should have been smooth sailing from there. I was looking forward to playing some new material from the Dodos and, despite the low quality of their recordings, Weed paired well with 90s indie rock legends, Archers of Loaf. The Courtneys brought a similar level of irony and angst to their contribution, "Insufficient Funds," but the typo on the liner notes threw me for a bit of a loop. Montreal's UBT provided the show's ominous surprise hit ("John the Painter") and Speedy Ortiz seem to keep getting better each time I hear them. The show was on its way to a fine conclusion, and indeed, if you'd heard it live, it would been fine. But for some reason the MP3 recording stopped with 13 minutes to go, and I was saving the best for last!

Not a great way to end. Let's hope I get another chance.



"Girl on a Motorbike" - Swervedriver - Mezcal Head
"Faded Colours" - Yes Nice - Warm Gun
"Come to Admire" - Gold & Youth - Beyond Wilderness
"The Leanover" - Life Without Buildings - Any Other City
"Why Not a House?" - Miserere - Miserere
"The Current" - The Dodos - Carrier
"Ben's Trip" - Weed - Gun Control EP
"Wrong" - Archers of Loaf  - Icky Mettle
"Insufficient Funds" - The Courtneys - The Courtneys
"John the Painter" - UBT - Ego Orientation
"Tiger Tank" - Speedy Ortiz - Major Arcana
"How I Spent My Summer" - Julia Brown - to be close to you
"A Summer Wasting" - Belle & Sebastian - The Boy with the Arab Strap
"What Is Not But Could Be If" - Silver Jews - Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea

2 comments:

  1. hey Jon,

    This is a little random but it is a music blog. My question is "What are your thoughts on Earl Sweatshirt?
    Is he overhyped or the real deal?
    http://www.newyorker.com/video?video-id=2617208510001

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lucas,
    Nice to hear from you. I really haven't formed an opinion on Mr Sweatshirt, although I do believe he's a pretty talented dude. I'd be interested hear some of your thoughts regarding the rapper in question. Thanks for the link.
    jd

    ReplyDelete